World NGO Day – Helping the helpers
27 February 2018
On World NGO Day we’d like to take the opportunity to thank NGOs worldwide for everything they do to make our world a better place. As a global health services provider, we’re proud to partner with NGOs to provide health benefits and services to their staff members across the globe.
Beyond providing health services, we also help facilitate knowledge exchange in the NGO sector by organising various events. In 2018, The Cigna Foundation and Cigna NGO Health Benefits are joining forces to organise workshops for NGOs on Duty of Care.
The first workshop took place on 7th and 8th February in Washington DC (USA) and focussed on managing an NGO localisation strategy. Panellists discussed topics such as pay structures, tax and legal considerations, and localisation options and solutions for employers. Angela Rooney, Cigna’s Global NGO Director, spoke about health care challenges and solutions for international NGOs. The workshop was a great success, with over 60 enthusiastic participants; some of whom flew in from Europe to contribute to the discussion.
The Duty of Care workshops will take place around the globe; the following workshops will be in England and Kenya and will focus on addressing violence and critical incidents.
Join us in celebrating NGOs and thanking them for the tremendous work they do!
5 facts about NGOs1
- The term "non-governmental organisation" was created in Article 71 of the Charter of the newly formed United Nations in 1945. An NGO can be any kind of organisation provided that it is independent from government influence and is not-for-profit.
- There are an estimated 10 million NGOs worldwide.
- If NGOs were a country, they would have the 5th largest economy in the world.
- Three out of four employees in the NGO sector are female, but the majority of leadership positions at NGOs are still predominately held by men.
- The number of people worldwide donating money to NGOs increased from 1.2 billion in 2011 to 1.4 billion in 2014. By 2030, the number is expected to grow to 2.5 billion.
Source: 1. Facts and Stats about NGOs Worldwide. http://techreport.ngo/previous/2017/facts-and-stats-about-ngos-worldwide.... Consulted on 20th February 2018.