Go Green for World Earth Day
20 April 2017
22nd April is World Earth Day, a globally recognised awareness day with events celebrated worldwide each year to show support for environmental protection. Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970 and is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network - an organisation that works with over 22,000 partners in 192 countries to broaden, diversify and mobilise the environmental movement.
The Earth Day Network’s mission for this year is to make sure people know the concepts of climate change and are aware of its unprecedented threat to our planet. They aim to empower everyone with the knowledge to inspire action to protect our environment. Cigna is happy to join the cause and help raise awareness. Many people don’t realise the effect their everyday choices have on our planet.
Did you know these facts?
- About 20% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions come from the meat industry.
- Disposable bags, bottles & packages use 300 million tons of plastic every year. Only 10% gets properly recycled & reused.
- Over 100 million trees are cut down each year to produce junk mail.
- Composting limits food waste & reduces landfill impact.
So how can you improve your ecological footprint? Here are five tips to reduce your impact on the environment.
HOW GREEN ARE YOU?
Check your impact on our planet with this ecological footprint calculator.
Cigna's vision and initiatives
As a global health service company, Cigna understands the connection between personal health and the health of the environment. That’s why we continuously strive to reduce our impact on climate change.
Would you like to know more?
- Find a range of resources to help you go green on the Earth Day website.
- Find out more about Cigna’s environmental sustainability policy and practices.